There is nothing like a hot bowl of soup on a cold winter day.
This minestrone is packed with plant-based protein and is not only filling but also nutritious and it’s gluten-free!
Quinoa and chickpeas contain all 9 essential amino acids making them complete proteins. Also, both are complex carbs and are full of fiber.
Pair this with the veggies and you have a filling and nutritionally complete meal!
This soup is great for those who are new to a plant-based diet or those who just love soup!
Not plant-based? Chicken would go wonderfully with this soup!
Serving suggestion: Warm crusty bread + a salad.
Comforting MinestroneCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
1 Tbsp Avocado Oil
1/2 Onion, Diced
2 Stalks celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1/3 cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
1 Zucchini or yellow squash, diced into bite-sized pieces
1 Carton Chicken or Veggie broth
2 cups water
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
3/4 tsp Thyme leaves
1 cup french green beans, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 can diced tomatoes with juices
1 can Chickpeas, drained
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 cup dry chickpea spiral noodles (can sub with regular noodles)
- Add avocado oil to a pot and heat on med/high
- Add onion and celery and cook until softened, then add in garlic and stir for a minute
- Add zucchini, green beans, tomatoes, beans, seasonings, and parsley, mix to combine, and cook for a few minutes
- Add quinoa, noodles, broth, and water bring to a boil, cover, and let it simmer over med/low heat until the noodles are softened, adding more liquid as needed.
- Taste for seasonings and salt and add more as needed.
- The quinoa and noodles add a nice earthy flavor to the soup when you cook them in the soup. Alternatively, you could cook them separately.
- Watch the liquid levels as the quinoa and noodles will soak up most of the liquid. Add more broth as needed.